• The Forex, Binary Options Forum - welcomes you to our Community!

DigitalCashPalace Forum is dedicated to discussions about Forex, Binary Options, commodities, stocks related.

Please take a look around, and feel free to .

Daily EURUSD & GBPUSD Analysis by HotForex

Gold Trades Sideways At Key Support Level - http://analysis.hotforex.com/blog/2015/03/04/gold-trades-sideways-at-key-support-level/

Gold-W.png

Lately many market participants have been focusing on this week’s jobs report from the US. This Friday the US Bureau of Labour Statistics releases the Non-Farm Payroll report, the most important piece of macro data before the next Fed meeting. This report is seen as an important indicator on when the Fed might start hiking the interest rates. Some participants expect the rate hike happen in June while most are looking to September as potential starting point for the Fed’s rate hike cycle. However, some prominent analysts believe that the Fed will be patient and start the rate hikes next year. Higher interest rates support the dollar and historically Gold has not done that well during the periods of rising dollar. At the same time demand for physical Gold is solid in Asia. India alone is consuming 800 to 1000 tons of Gold annually and imports to the country are increasing. In addition, China’s interest rate cuts in November 2014 and last Saturday are an indication that the Peoples Bank of China has moved into an easing cycle. This is a factor supporting demand for Gold in China.

The price of Gold reached the medium term ascending trendline a bit more than a week ago and has since been trading between the support at 1200 and a weekly low from the beginning of February. This level also coincides with the 50% Fibonacci retracement level. Gold is getting oversold in terms of Stochastics and I am looking for a move higher over this week or latest the next week.

Gold-D.png

Gold, Daily

The resistance level at 1220 coinciding with the 50% Fibonacci level has held the price down while the 1200 area has supported price. Price is ranging sideways which is quite common after downtrend is broken and the market participants fight over the future direction of the gold price. At the moment we have a higher low in place (from yesterday) which indicates that buyers are ready bid for Gold between 1190 and 1200. There is further support from a daily pivot candle from January 2nd this year and the lower Bollinger bands (currently at 1179 and 1188).

Gold-240-min.png

Gold, 240 min

Levels outside the lower Bollinger bands and a pivot candle from 24th February have been attracting buyers lately. There was an attempt to take the price higher last week and price was making higher lows and higher highs until the resistance at 1223 proved too much for the buyers. There was rejection candle yesterday (a candle with a long shadow below). This confirms the idea of 1190 to 1200 being an important range for buyers.

Conclusion:

Price is now at key levels and I am looking for a move higher from this support. In the recent past it has taken two to three weeks for the price Gold to turn from support levels. Therefore should there be a rally in not so distant future. But as the market participants are looking at this Friday’s jobs release from the US as a potential indication on when Fed might be raising rates the price of Gold might be moving sideways until Friday. Should Friday’s NFP figures be a disappointment, the likelihood of Fed raising rates early would be smaller and this should support the price of Gold. Levels close to or inside the 1190 – 1200 support range should be monitored for price action based buy signals. If you want to learn about price action based trading signals, just join me to educational and live analysis webinars.

Join me on Live Analysis Webinar on Tuesday 10th of March at 12:30 pm GMT. Register for FREE and as usual it is better to log in early to get your seat! https://www.hotforex.com/en/trading-tools/trading-webinars.html

Janne Muta
Chief Market Analyst
HotForex

Disclaimer
: Nothing in this communication contains, or should be considered as containing, an investment advice or an investment recommendation or a solicitation for the purpose of purchase or sale of any financial instrument.

S&P Moving Sideways Above The Dec 2014 High - http://analysis.hotforex.com/blog/2015/03/06/sp-moving-sideways-above-the-dec-2014-high/

ES-W.png

I suggested in my previous S&P 500 analysis http://analysis.hotforex.com/blog/2015/02/25/sp-500-in-new-all-time-highs/ that the market could be correcting lower. This was based on both technical and sector analysis. On February 25th I wrote: over the last six trading days the money flows have been once again favouring the Utilities and Health Care sectors over all the other sectors, while Energy and Financials have lagged the most. All this put together indicates that we could see the S&P 500 slowing down and possibly correcting lower in the course of the next few trading days. Index was trading at 2011.25 points at the time of my analysis and is trading at the time of writing at 2098.75 (-87 points).

Today’s an NFP Friday and the markets are likely to be in a waiting mode as the unemployment readings are important indicators for the Fed in deciding the timing of the first rate hike. Consensus expectation is 240K new jobs and should the number deviate strongly to the downside it’d be likely that the Fed would be more patient and delay the start of the rate hikes. Another important data point is the Average Hourly Earnings which will give an indication on the ability of consumers to consume. The Nonfarm Payrolls, Average Hourly Earnings, Labour Force Participation Rate and Unemployment Rate for the month of February are published today at 13:30 GMT. For other economic releases, see the HotForex Economic Calendar here.https://www.hotforex.com/en/trading-tools/economic-calendar.html

The last two weekly bars have been narrow bodied Dojis. This indicates lack of demand and increases probabilities that this market will correct lower. As there has been no upside momentum over the last two weeks, Stochastics is overbought and turning lower. In addition, the upper Bollinger Bands are near and have been limiting upside. Support and resistance levels in weekly picture are: 2062.50, 2088.75 and 2117.75.

ES-D.png

S&P 500, Daily

After wedging a bit at the time of my previous analysis S&P 500 e-mini future (ES) moved out of the rising regression channel. Price has been supported by the pivot high at 2088.75 and 23.6% Fibonacci level with a new resistance at the latest high (2117.75). Support at 2062.50 coincides with the lower Bollinger Bands and the 38.2% Fibonacci retracement. Should ES correct further the next important support level is 2020.50. The fact that price has been reacting higher from the proximity of 2088.75 level in suggests that this level is seen as an important support.

ES-240.png

S&P 500, 240 min

Index futures have attracted buyers at 2085 area but the resistance from both the descending trendline and the previous support at 2101 level have this far blocked the moves higher. At the time of writing there isn’t much momentum to either direction as market waits for the NFP release but the moves from 2085 have been strong (hammer candles). This suggest there will be buyers at this level today. Should this level be broken the next support level at 2062.50 coincides roughly with the 1.618 Fibonacci extension level. It is also a former resistance which adds to the significance of this level.

Conclusion:

In the longer term picture US stock market is now fairly overbought and the last two weeks’ weekly narrow body candles indicate that there is not much willingness to pay higher prices for equities but no strong need to sell off either. At the same time technology, the heaviest sector in the S&P 500 index is close to channel top and Apple the heaviest weighted stock in this sector looks like it could correct lower after a bearish weekly candle last week. Even if this correction takes place I still believe this market can move higher and therefore look for buying opportunities at support levels.

Technicals and macro view are giving a slightly mixed message: if the employment numbers are weak the Fed is likely to start rate hikes later which would be good for the stock market. However, at the same time strong employment numbers would indicate an improving economy, which again is a reason to stay long in Stocks. Market reactions to today’s NFP release are therefore an important indicator of things to come in the near future. If market finds support either at 2085 or 2062.50 and reacts higher with good momentum (that takes ES into new highs) the technical picture stays positive and supports the long term bullish view.

In regards to short term trading ideas I am looking for minor time frame reversal signals at the above mentioned support and resistance levels once the employment numbers are released and the market is likely to have some volatility again. Market is not likely to move strongly before the employment release later on today. Should there be no strong deviation from the consensus expectation the nearest technical levels will be honoured but higher deviation from expectations will be translated into stronger whipsaws in price. If the latter is the case, then momentum reversal traders should be looking to trade levels further away from the current price.

Join me on Live Analysis Webinar on Tuesday 10th of March at 12:30 pm GMT. Register HERE for FREE and as usual it is better to log in early to get your seat! https://www.hotforex.com/en/trading-tools/trading-webinars.html

Janne Muta
Chief Market Analyst
HotForex

Disclaimer: Nothing in this communication contains, or should be considered as containing, an investment advice or an investment recommendation or a solicitation for the purpose of purchase or sale of any financial instrument.

EURGBP Setups Have Made Hundreds of Pips - http://analysis.hotforex.com/blog/2015/03/11/yet-another-eurgbp-setup-that-made-hundreds-of-pips/

EURGBP-W1.png

We got it right again in EURGBP. The pair rallied to a resistance level I gave in my last analysis and has then sold off heavily. My view on March 2nd EURGBP analysis was that out of major EUR crosses, it is the EURGBP that is the weakest and therefore makes it an ideal market to sell the rallies. I wrote then that the zone from 0.7300 to 0.7314 is an area we should be looking for momentum reversal signals as the channel midline and the upper Bollinger Bands coincide with the zone. EURGBP rose to 0.7301 on that day and has since dropped over 200 pips. We have now had two very good sell signals in EURGBP lately. The first sell signal as per my analysis came at just below 0.7596 and now the other in proximity of 0.7301. My analysis and the signals that I teach in my webinars have made several hundred pips in EURGBP for our traders. If you would like to learn how to catch moves like this you are welcome to join me to free webinars here.https://www.hotforex.com/en/landing-pages/hf-webinars.html?id=118

As the EURGBP is basically collapsing at the time of writing the weekly picture does not provide us with a lot to analyse. With trend lower indicators are oversold and price is hugging the lower Bollinger Bands. The nearest weekly support and resistance levels are 0.7022 a former resistance level from 2006 and 2007 and the last week’s low at 0.7183.

EURGBP-D1.png

EURGBP, Daily

Price has extended below the regression channel and has for the first time since January 26th closed outside the lower Bollinger Bands. This suggests that the trend has moved too far too quickly. This increases probabilities for a corrective move against the prevailing trend over the coming few days.

EURGBP-2401.png

EURGBP, 240 min

EURGBP trend is extended in 4h chart as well. In case there will be a move against the trend over the coming few days potential resistance levels that could turn price lower again are 0.7130 and 0.7180. The lower level is clearly a minor resistance level as it is a spot where price tried to hold the channel bottom. This caused a sideways move visible in the 60 min chart and could act as a resistance should the market be weak.

Conclusion
As long as the market keeps on moving lower and there is no price based evidence to the contrary there is no hurry to close the short trades. Exception to this would be price hitting the 0.7022 support level which could well bounce the price higher and therefore is a logical target level. Price is in a downtrend and we should be looking to sell rallies as long as the approach works. However, once the 0.7022 target is hit the pair is at a major consolidation level and selling rallies might get trickier. Currently I am looking at 0.7130 and 0.7180 as potential shorting levels in case there is a rally higher and 0.7022 area as a target for short trades.

Join me on Free Webinar on Tuesday 17th of March at 12:30 pm GMT. I will show you live how to analyse the markets and look for setups for high probability trades. Register HERE https://www.hotforex.com/en/trading-tools/trading-webinars.html for FREE and as usual it is better to log in early to get your seat!

Janne Muta
Chief Market Analyst
HotForex

Disclaimer: Nothing in this communication contains, or should be considered as containing, an investment advice or an investment recommendation or a solicitation for the purpose of purchase or sale of any financial instrument.

CADJPY Trading In A Range After A Shooting Star Candle - Read more: http://analysis.hotforex.com/blog/2015/03/13/cadjpy-trading-in-a-range-after-a-shooting-star-candle/

CADJPY-W.png

CADJPY has weakened substantially since November last year and has over the last weeks bounced higher from a support at 91.78. The support is loosely defined by the lower Bollinger Bands and a pivot candle from March 2014. Last week price reacted lower from a weekly low creating a shooting star candle and confirming a resistance level at 96.74. A couple of weeks ago the pair bounced from 94.17 forming a support level.

CADJPY-D.png

DCADJPY, Daily

There was a shooting star last week in the daily chart as well. CADJPY has since then moved sideways between resistance at 96.74 and a rising trendline. The resistance coincides roughly with 38.2% Fibonacci level (drawn from December 2014 high to the January 2015 low) and upper Bollinger Bands. Bollinger Bands are narrowing which indicates that the pair is nearing a breakout but to which direction? The last two days indecision is clearly visible in the chart. Stochastic Oscillator is close to being oversold and is about to cross over its signal line. This together with the rising trendline encourages the bulls but the above shooting stars and resistance that are relatively close dampens the enthusiasm.

CADJPY-240.png

240CADJPY, 240 min

The pair has been making lower highs and breaking support levels since the move to 96.74 was rejected. Fluctuations created a triangle that was resolved to the downside and provided one shorting opportunity on a rebound as the pair tested the lower end of the triangle and failed to penetrate it. Since then we have had a new lower low and lower high as the pair has been moving towards the lower end of the range. Projection from triangle points to 50% Fibonacci level (near 94.17 support). Should that support fail the next interesting support level is at 93.03 as it coincides with a 261.8% Fibonacci extension. I have left the extension levels off from the chart to improve readability.

Conclusion

Trading in the middle of the range is always tricky while the easiest money is made at the edges and the pair is currently trading pretty much in the middle of the range. However, the weekly and daily shooting stars at 96.74 resistance level indicate willingness to sell the CADJPY at those levels while the lower highs and lower lows in 4h chart suggest that the pair should be testing the 94.17 level in not so distant future. This far the 38.2% Fibonacci level and the rising trendline have prevented the price moving lower. In addition there was bullish divergence in the Stochastic Oscillator at the time the pair bounced higher from the trendline. The intraday picture therefore has both bullish and bearish elements while the weekly shooting star points to lower prices from current levels.

The wide range candle from the beginning of February indicates that demand between 91.78 and 94.17 was strong. Quick moves into this area should be therefore met by willingness to bid the pair higher. Should such a quick move happen I would be interested in long signals at or near to the 93.03 support. I will be monitoring the levels close to the upper daily Bollinger Bands (at around 96.20) and the shooting star high.

Join me on Free Webinar on Tuesday 17th of March at 12:30 pm GMT. I will show you live how to analyse the markets and look for setups for high probability trades. Register HERE for FREE and as usual it is better to log in early to get your seat! https://www.hotforex.com/en/trading-tools/trading-webinars.html

Janne Muta
Chief Market Analyst
HotForex

Copper’s Relative Strenght Due To China Read more here: http://analysis.hotforex.com/blog/2015/03/16/coppers-relative-strenght-due-to-china/

Copper-M1.png

Copper is in a long term bear channel and moved in February to a level that has supported price in the past. This was also the first time since year 2008 that Money Flow Index moved into overbought zone in Monthly timeframe. In February 2007 price touched 2.40 level and moved higher over the next two years. Now there was another bounce from the same level and the price of Copper is on the rise for the second month in a row. The nearest resistance level is approx. at 2.72 while the next major resistance is at 2.88.

Copper-W1.png

Copper, Weekly

Copper (an industrial metal) has been stronger performer than precious metals since the latest US Jobs report came in with a surprisingly high number and strenhgtened the US dollar. While Gold and Silver have declined by almost 3% since March 5th Copper has at the time of writing gained 1.1%. However, the US rate hike expectations mean the US dollar strengthens and buying power amongst non-USD based investors decreases for dollar based assets such as Copper. This combined with slowing economic growth in China slows down the Copper bulls and has caused the price to fluctuate below resistance levels. On the other the hand price has held up and even edged higher as market participants believe that easier lending conditions should improve demand in China, the biggest consumer of Copper globally. The price of copper has made two weekly lower highs since touching the 2.72 resistance level (a former support from June 2010) while the MFI (7) is overbought and Stochastics are close to the same levels and hinting that the momentum is waning. This could lead to further fluctuation between the 2.59 support and a high of 2.73 from couple of weeks ago. Other support levels are 2.55 and 2.40, a high and low of the January pivot candle high and low.

Copper-D1.png

Copper, Daily

The price of copper is near to the upper Bollinger Bands and Stochastics is getting overbought. Price has just recently bounced from a support at 2.59 forming yet another higher low. This was technically a good sign as it confirmed the level that used to resist price moves higher is now a support. The fact that this level now coincides with the lower daily Bollinger Bands makes it more significant support area.

Conclusion

Fundamental factors that both support the price of Copper and resist its move higher translate into a ranging market, price action that honours the technical levels at both ends of the range. Levels near to 2.59 support level used to resist moves higher and are now providing support while the move to 2.72 resistance was rejected. This suggests that short term traders should look for trade opportunities at or close to these levels while longer term position traders might want to consider longs closer to the 2.40 support and shorts closer to the 2.88 resistance levels. This is the likely range copper futures over the coming weeks and months as major news stories or surprises on either the US Federal Reserve’s rate policy or Chinese consumption of Copper they might provide the trigger to move the price of Copper to these levels. Chinese premier Li Keqiang commented that the government will be ready to support the Chinese economy should the slowdown in growth affect employment and incomes. He wasn’t specific on the measures the government might use but a hope of economic stimulus in China should support the price of Copper. Against this backdrop traders might want to be buyers near support levels rather than trying to find shorts. This view would be negated if the US Fed indicated that it would hike rates more than expected. However, it is likely that the Fed will be cautious in raising rates.

Join me on Free Webinar on Tuesday 17th of March at 12:30 pm GMT. I will show you live how to analyse the markets and look for setups for high probability trades. Register HERE for FREE and as usual it is better to log in early to get your seat! https://www.hotforex.com/en/landing-pages/webinar-market.html?id=118

Janne Muta
Chief Market Analyst
HotForex

Weekly Hammer At Support Send USDCAD Higher

USDCAD-W.png

USDCAD (weekly) has been moving sideways since the beginning of February. The proximity of the year 2009 high has caused the sideways move. I suggested in my analysis at the time that USDCAD should move above the latest highs as US economy is stronger than the economy in Canada. The fact that USDCAD has maintained the support well and has now created a weekly hammer candle at the support supports my view. Bears might point out that Stochastics oscillator and RSI (7) have created lower highs and therefore signal that the momentum is waning. This however, is what happens each time price moves sideways. Therefore, oscillators do not tell us anything we wouldn’t know by reading price action. Nearest support and resistance levels are at 1.2409 and 1.2835. The year 2009 high at 1.3064 would be the next major resistance once price moves beyond the 1.2835.

Follow the link to read the full analysis
http://analysis.hotforex.com/blog/2015/03/30/weekly-hammer-at-support-send-usdcad-higher/

Approaching Resistance After NFP Disappointment

EURUSD-Daily.png

The EURUSD rallied after the combination of a disappointing NFP release, and downward back revisions in the figures. The pair is approaching a resistance area created by a combination of technical factors. The resistance levels of 1.1052 and 1.1098 coincide with 50 day MA and the upper Bollinger Bands. This resistance has been tested twice and after the latest test EURUSD made a higher low. This suggests the pair will be trying to move higher from here. The next important daily resistance levels are closer to the 1.1460 which could well come into play now that the NFP release was such a disappointment. Price action at the resistance levels is going to be interesting to follow. If the pair corrects lower from it I expect the correction to be rather subdued. The surprisingly weak jobs figure means that now the Fed doves have further evidence of softening economy and a better case to postpone the rate hike. This is seen in the markets across the board as the USD is being sold against other currencies across the board.

Janne Muta
Chief Market Analyst
HotForex

GBPNZD Ranging Above Support

GBPNZD-W.png

The pair has just recently moved higher from weekly support level 1.9379 while another one supported price at 1.9244 sent price higher in the beginning of January. For the last three to four weeks price has been bouncing between this support and a resistance created by a weekly low (at 2.000) from December last year. Stochastics is oversold and price action takes place near lower Bollinger Bands suggesting the pair should have more upside than downside potential. On the bearish side however I should mention the fact that the pair creates lower weekly highs suggesting selling pressure coming in at fairly close to the support. This is not a very bullish sign and could lead to further consolidation at support or eventually price breaking lower.

GBPNZD-D.png

GBPNZD, Daily

Price is reacting lower from a resistance at 1.9700. This resistance is created by a daily pivot candle from April 7th and coincides with a 50% Fibonacci level at 1.9691. Stochastics are pointing higher and the RSI has created a higher low while the latest low at 1.9380 was roughly equal to the low from March this year. This bullish divergence supports the upside bias but the price needs to break above the current resistance in order to create a higher high. Should the pair keep on making lower pivotal highs the pressure against the support would increase and the support could break. It is therefore essential to follow the price action over the coming days.

GBPNZD, 240 min

The four hour picture shows...
Follow the link to read the analysis
http://analysis.hotforex.com/blog/2015/04/14/gbpnzd-ranging-above-support/

Janne Muta
Chief Market Analyst
HotForex

Weekly chart: Gold’s likely to move lower

Gold-W.png

Gold, Weekly

In my latest Gold analysis from March 18th I wrote: These levels are exactly the levels that attracted buyers in Q4 2014 which suggests that there might still be some demand for Gold just below the current price. However, the psychology might have changed since December last year. Strong growth in the US labour market we have seen since then coupled with the rate hike expectations could lead to Gold breaking the support this time around. I am not taking a view that it will happen as support is support as long as it works. A close above yesterday’s high at 1159.30 would be a positive signal while a close above the 1165.70 resistance in would improve it even further. This would warrant buying intraday dips after over the coming few days with a target at 1190.

Now we’ve seen Gold closing moving higher from the support level and hitting my target at 1190. In addition, this market has moved beyond the target and turned lower at 1224.50 resistance. At the same time Gold created a bar with a narrow range between the open and closing prices hinting a move lower. This has since then materialised and Gold has moved lower this week. This is suggesting further moves lower in the coming two weeks or so. The next important weekly support is likely to be found near the lower weekly Bollinger Bands and 1131.50 to 1142 range. Long term picture is still bearish while in the medium term I expect Gold to move sideways between the above mentioned support and resistance levels.

Gold-D.png

Gold, Daily

In the daily picture Gold is trading close to the 50% Fibonacci level and the Stochastics are getting close to the oversold levels. This suggests that the move lower over the last few days could slow down a bit. Yesterday we saw a rally from the 50% Fibonacci level but..
Read the full analysis here: http://analysis.hotforex.com/blog/2015/04/15/weekly-chart-golds-likely-to-move-lower/

Janne Muta
Chief Market Analyst
HotForex

CRUDE LOOKS LIKE IT MIGHT BE BOTTOMING

Crude-and-DXY-inverted.png

Crude oil and Inverted DXY, Daily

In my analysis from February 5th I suggested that the crude oil could be close to levels it might bottom out. At the time I wrote: The price of oil has collapsed with the strengthening dollar and has reached levels that were last seen in the later stages of the financial crisis in 2008. This suggests that the current levels are deeply oversold both fundamentally and technically. The world economy is certainly slowing down but it is in a better shape than it was in the first quarter of 2009 when the US crude oil futures dropped to $33.35. Therefore, it makes sense to expect crude oil to be relatively close to the levels it could find a bottom.

Now it does look like crude oil is indeed bottoming. Since January price has moved sideways and even shown some relative strength against the USD. As crude is priced in the US dollars any up moves in the US Dollar Index (DXY) should mean the price of oil goes down. However, since the end of January DXY has move higher while crude has moved sideways and has therefore showed some relative strength. As can be seen from the above chart with crude oil in black and inverted DXY in blue the strength of crude was really taken to new levels at the midway of March. Together with the fact that the crude oil has been trading levels close to the 2009 low suggests to me that we are witnessing bottoming action in the price of crude.

Crude-W.png

Crude oil, Weekly

Since forming a hammer candle in March the price of crude oil has been trending higher and making consecutive higher closes. Now price has moved well beyond the 53.60 resistance level. This confirms the bullishness and suggests that the price has bottomed. After such a long sideways move and relative strength against the DXY it is now more likely that price will find buyers if it retraces back to the support levels. Now that the Stochastics is indicating crude is getting overbought the next challenge for buyers is likely to be around the 23.6% Fibonacci level and the upper Bollinger Bands that are nearby. The most important support levels are at 53.60 and 46.53.

Crude-D.png

Crude oil, Daily

Price is trending higher in a channel and has with yesterday’s rally moved outside the upper Bollinger Bands. This suggests that the market is getting overbought in the short term. Stochastics are in the overbought territory supporting the indication from Bollinger Bands. Also, price is getting close to the channel top. The support at 53.60 looks like a logical retracement level and it coincides roughly with 23.6% Fibonacci level. I have not drawn the Fibs on the chart to maintain a better readability. Should the 53.60 support fail to hold, the next potential support level is at 50.25.

Crude-240.png

Crude oil, 240 min

Price has reacted with a shooting star candle and is now inside the upper Bollinger Bands. This suggests the corrective could be already underway. Stochastics support the idea as they are overbought and pointing lower.

Conclusion

Long term picture is bullish with the price of oil showing clear signs of market bottoming. In medium term, ie the daily trend crude is bound to move higher but might retrace first. The intraday picture is overbought and therefore bearish. I look for correction lower intraday and then keep an eye on 53.60 support region for buy signals.

Janne Muta
Chief Market Analyst
HotForex

DXY IS GETTING CLOSE TO SUPPORT

DXY-W.png

HotForex Analysis: http://analysis.hotforex.com/blog/2015/04/17/dxy-is-getting-close-to-support/

DXY, Weekly

US Dollar Index (DXY) represents a basket of currencies in which the US dollar is valued. These include major currencies with different weights: EUR (57.6%), JPY (13.6%), GBP (11.9%), CAD (9.1%), SEK (4.2%) and CHF (3.6%). With euro having the highest weighting analysis made on DXY will have the greatest indication for EURUSD trading.

Since March this year momentum indicators have been moving lower reflecting the fact that price has not been making new higher highs anymore. Until recently Stochastics and RSI have been moving above the overbought threshold but now are pointing lower and have moved closer to neutral values. In a price chart that means the latest price action is taking closer to the middle of the recent range. DXY has been correcting lower this week and is now close to the 50% Fibonacci retracement level. This ties up with the indication from the oscillators. Price is also approaching an accelerated trendline support but has created a lower high which suggests that price could be moving sideways over the coming weeks.

DXY-D.png

DXY, Daily

Both Stochastics and RSI are close to oversold levels with the latter attempting to tick higher at the time of writing. Price has reached a pivot candle from April 6th and is fairly close to a rising trendline support. This suggests that the downside is getting limited and we should be looking for buy signals for the dollar at levels at or below the current price. Nearest support and resistance levels are 97.46 and 99.46 which also coincides with the upper Bollinger Bands. Should the 97.46 support not hold the DXY the next important support level can be identified in the 4h chart at 97. The 50 day MA is currently in the region as well with a value of 97.08. This increases the validity of the level.

DXY-240.png

DXY, 240

As DXY has been trending down over the last three days there has also been some wedging in the price. This suggests that there is some resistance for dollar moving lower, especially since price came to the low of 98.07 yesterday. At the moment the 61.8% Fibonacci resistance level has been acting as a resistance for rallies today. Price is moving closer to 97.46 support level which it has already almost touched once and bounced higher. Stochastics, RSI and MFI are oversold which supports the view that this market is near to buy levels. If the 97.46 doesn’t hold then the next support level at 97 should come into play but I am interested in price action based buy signals even between the levels.

Conclusion

In the longer term picture it is clear that the Fed speak turning dovish in March has taken steam out of the DXY rally and the index has been moving sideways. Price has created a lower high which suggests weakness and that DXY could be moving sideways over the coming weeks. But in a shorter term picture DXY is close to support levels and we should therefore be looking for buy signals the dollar. This obviously means looking for sell signals in markets like AUDUSD (close to a resistance), NZDUSD (also at resistance). At the same time USDJPY is at support. Should the price action confirm my analysis this could be a time to favour USD over other currencies. Later on today we will have the CPI numbers from US and this could cause some action should there be a strong deviation from analysis expectations.

You will find today’s economic calendar with the highest impacting events only. Please visit HotForex.com for full calendar.

EC1.png

Janne Muta
Chief Market Analyst
HotForex

HOW TO FIND HIGH PROBABILITY TRADES?

Gold-60-min-.png

In my analysis from April 15th I wrote: We could see Gold retesting the resistance levels at 1198 and 1208. The latter coincides with the upper Bollinger Bands and should price rally there we’d be looking for momentum reversal signals close to it.

As we now know, Gold turned at the resistance and provided us with a great shorting opportunity!

Join me in today’s Live Analysis Webinar and learn how to identify similar opportunities over the coming few days. I will teach you how to analyse the markets successfully and how to read price action when entering and exiting your trades.

Twice a month we gather together to a Live Analysis Webinar to study the markets and recent price action. In these sessions I share my thoughts and analysis on currency pairs and teach our traders to understand what is important when looking for high probability trade setups. This is a great opportunity to watch and learn from what I share and get your questions answered. We’ve had excellent feed back from our traders on these sessions. I am convinced that you will benefit greatly by investing an hour of your time with the rest of us. Please, follow the link below and book your seat.

You are warmly welcome to join me to a Live Analysis Webinar at 1 pm GMT. Book your seat! The seats are limited so sign up now and log in early.

Janne Muta
Chief Market Analyst
HotForex

COFFEE FUTURES REACTING LOWER FROM RESISTANCE
Market Analysis— 23 April 2015
KC-W.png

Coffee, Weekly

The last time I wrote about market moves in coffee the coffee futures were trading at 152.65 and based on the price action I suggested price should move lower and gave $145 and $125 as my downside targets. Since then target one was hit and price has moved as low as $128.80, close to the target II at $125. The first level was penetrated without any effort but then it turned into a resistance that has kept price capped for almost two months. Price of coffee found support at 161.8% Fibonacci extension level just above my target II at $125 and had a close outside the lower Bollinger Bands. Since then we’ve seen this market moving sideways inside the Bollinger Bands with roughly equal highs at $147. Price has made higher lows suggesting pressure is building against this resistance level.

Coffee, Daily

The 50 period MA is still pointing lower while price......read the full analysis here: http://analysis.hotforex.com/blog/2015/04/23/coffee-futures-reacting-lower-from-resistance/

EURUSD has a negative trend and there is lot of selling in this pair there is very feeble chances that it might go up.

TODAY’S CURRENCY MOVERS

EUR4.png

EURUSD didn’t move much yesterday even though some positive news was received from the negotiations on financing Greece. The pair rallied to 1.1410 but failed creating both a 4h and eventually a daily rejection candles. This was very much in line with what I have been saying over the last week about EURUSD being limited on the upside to 1.1435 and with downside potential to 1.1000. The bearish wedge supported the view and now price action has confirmed this analysis with a breakout from the wedge. Today’s price action is likely downward biased with upside limited to 1.1319 while I see support between 1.1112 and 1.1148. The nearest significant daily support and resistance levels are at 1.1050 and 1.1434.

ECB has increased Emergency Lending Assistance to Greece this morning while the country has been now given 48 hours to reach a debt deal. EU leaders see progress in the Greek talks after the latest reform list showed a narrowing of the gap between creditors and the Tsipras administration and have given Greece 48 hours to finalise a deal. Eurozone Finance Ministers will meet again on Wednesday and could sign off a package if there is a staff level agreement by then. EU heads of state will then meet again on

Thursday with the aim to finalise a deal by the end of the week. It is likely that this will include an extension of the current bailout agreement and financing of upcoming ECB and IMF repayments through existing ESM funds earmarked initially for Greek bank recapitalisation. Greek debt is likely to be lengthened or re-profiled, although given the current construction of the ESM holding most of Greece’s debt, an outright write off seems less likely.

The 5.1% May US existing home sales bounce to a 5.35 mln pace yesterday beat the prior 5.31 mln four-year high to leave the strongest pace since the spike to a 5.44 mln clip back in November of 2009 with the homebuyers’ tax credit. We also saw a 4.6% median price rise to $228,700 new cycle-high, as prices now..

Read the Full Analysis HERE http://analysis.hotforex.com/blog/2015/06/23/todays-currency-movers-31/

Today’s Currency Movers - http://analysis.hotforex.com/blog/2015/06/24/todays-currency-movers-32/

EUR5.png

EURUSD, Daily

Technical picture in EURUSD is bearish with price moving outside the bearish wedge I’ve had on the chart for quite some time now. Resistance area below 1.1239 is likely to turn price lower today and with no high quality support levels in proximity of current price action I am expecting to see another strong sell off today. My target for today’s move is 1.0937 as this level is likely to turn price higher again. Important daily support and resistance levels are at 1.1207 and 1.0930.

An agreement at technical level with Greece needs to be on the table today, in time for Finance Ministers to sign off the agreement at the Euro group meeting Wednesday evening ahead of Thursday’s EU summit. Even if this goes without a hitch, Tsipras will still have to get the deal through parliament in Athens and then through the German parliament. So plenty yet that could go wrong and trigger another flip in fixed income markets.

Yesterday US new home sales rose 2.2% to a 546k pace in May after rebounding 8.1% to 534k in April (revised from 517k) from the 9.4% March drop to 494k. That knocked the month’s supply to 4.5 from 4.6 (revised from 4.8). Regionally, sales were split with gains in the Northeast and West, and declines in the Midwest and South. The median sales price fell 2.9% to $282,800 from $291,100 (revised from $297,300). Prices are down 1.0% y/y versus the 6.0% y/y clip in April. Data are better than expected. The U.S. Markit flash PMI manufacturing index slipped to 53.4 in June from May’s 54.0 and is down from April’s 54.1. It’s a third straight monthly decline and is the weakest reading since October 2013. However, employment and new orders were higher, with the former at its fastest pace since November. Average cost burdens were up for a second straight month.

2015-06-24_1201.png

Currency Pairs, Grouped Performance

USD strength yesterday turned into weakness this morning with EURUSD and NZDUSD leading the pack. EUR pairs are seeing some strength across the board even though the German IFO was a disappointment today. AUD performance has been mixed while JPY is the loser this morning as it is down against almost all the competitors.

EURJPY came close to a support level at 138 and has now bounced higher but struggles with a resistance at 138.90. GBPJPY is one of the performers this morning as it’s trying to break above a sideways range it has been bound for a week. As this has been caused by the pair trading at resistance this is not an ideal spot to be a buyer in this pair. CHFJPY moving higher from the bottom end of an ascending triangle formation.

Significant daily support and resistance levels for aforementioned pairs are:

EURJPY 138.00 / 140.63
GBPJPY 194.63 / 195.35
CHFJPY 131.50 / 134.35

Main Macro Events Today

German IFO came in much weaker than expected, with the overall confidence reading falling to 107.4 from 108.5 against consensus expectations for a drop to 108.1. The weaker than expected number is in stark contrast to yesterday’s better than expected PMI readings, which showed improved sentiment in both services and manufacturing sectors. The IFO reading showed the third consecutive drop in the forward looking expectations number, which was likely impacted by uncertainty about Greece and is now at the lowest level since the start of the year.Euro group meeting. An agreement between Greece and its creditors needs to be reached in time for Finance Ministers to sign off at the Euro group meeting this evening, ahead of tomorrow’s EU summit.US Gross Domestic Product. The Q1 GDP growth is likely to be revised to -0.4% from -0.7% in the second release, following 2.2% growth in Q4. Forecast risk: downward, given last year’s big downside surprise for the second revision that may be on track for a repeat. Market risk for USD: downward, as a weaker report could impact the already-fragile Fed rate hike timing.

2015-06-24_1139.png

Please note that times displayed based on local time zone and are from time of writing this report.

Today’s Currency Movers

EURUSD.png

EURUSD, daily

EURUSD found support at the lower end of my support range (1.1110 – 1.1140) yesterday and was moving sideways inside this range overnight. At the time of writing price is again at intraday support at 1.1100 after reacting higher from it earlier today. I have been expecting today’s trading being limited between 1.1100 support and resistance at 1.1201 as market participants wait to see how the Greek drama develops but there seems to be no momentum from this support. Therefore the emphasis will be on watching the price action at current levels in order to see if buyers are stepping in or out of the way. Weekly picture suggests that EURUSD could be range bound between 1.0955 and 1.1466 for several weeks unless something extraordinary and unexpected happens. Significant daily support and resistance levels are at 1.1006 and 1.1292.

Greece defaulted on its IMF repayment yesterday and today Tsipras is prepared to to accept bailout conditions. Greece’s latest letter to creditors says Greece is “prepared to accept this Staff Level Agreement subject to the following amendments, additions or clarifications as part of the extension of the expiring EFSF program and the new ESM Loan Agreement”. The FT reports that the two page letter was sent as a clarification to yesterday’s surprise ESM loan request. The Eurogroup will discuss it in a teleconference at 15.30GMT today. The mentioned amendments are reportedly are only a handful of minor changes. If confirmed, this will clearly help the ECB to extent ELA assistance for now and the referendum may be called off.

German Finance Minister Schaeuble is still taking tough line on Greece, saying the letter from Tsipras that accepted most of the bailout conditions lacks clarity and that Greece’s proposals still aren’t a basis for serious measures. The euro has given back most of the gains it saw following the earlier news of the Tsipras letter.

An IMF default would not have necessarily meant a cut off in ELA, which so far has only been frozen at last week’s level, as according to earlier Reuters reports citing an ECB official Greek banks could still have ruled to be solvent for up to 5 days after the non-payment to the IMF. However, without a bailout program in place and no clear hope of another one, Draghi would likely have faced growing resistance in the council with Weidmann already questioning previously if ongoing emergency assistance doesn’t violate the prohibition of direct government financing through the ECB. This will still be the case, but if both sides are at least negotiating again, Draghi will unlikely want to be the one to pull the plug, at least for now.

Yesterday US consumer confidence surged to 101.4 in June from 94.6 in May (revised down from 95.4). It ties the March reading, and is the second highest print this year, bested only by the 103.8 in January. The latter was the highest since June 2007. The present situations component rose to 111.6 from 107.1 (revised from 108.1). The expectations index was 94.6 from 86.2 previously (revised from 86.9). The labor market differential improved to -4.3 versus -6.6. The 12-month inflation gauge edged uo to 5.1% from 5.0% (revised from 5.1%).

Read the full analysis here: http://analysis.hotforex.com/blog/2015/07/01/todays-currency-movers-36/

b]Today’s Currency Movers[/b]

EUR.png

EURUSD, Daily

After a smaller than previous gap opening EURUSD rallied to a resistance at Friday’s close and turned lower as the buyers failed to challenge the sellers at the resistance. Trading Greek related politics is difficult, if not impossible and that leaves us with technicals. Technically EURUSD is inside a potential support area but still relatively close to a weekly low from two weeks ago (1.1130) and is now trading outside the upward trend channel. This and the lower high in mid-June suggest that the pair might come lower this week. Current trading takes place just above a support (1.0948) but there isn’t much upside momentum and the nearest resistance at 1.1032 isrelatively close. This should may dampen the bulls’ readiness to bid the prices higher. This could lead to sideways trading today. Daily support and resistance levels: 1.0930 and 1.1135.

European markets in general are holding their breath ahead of today’s Eurogroup and EU leaders meetings. Bund and Gilt yields continue to decline as stocks remain under pressure, although losses on FTSE and DAX remain limited so far and peripheral Eurozone 10-year yields outside of Greece came off yesterday’s highs. Officials stress that they want to keep Greece in the Eurozone, but also that that still requires firm reform commitments from Greece. So all eyes are once again on Tsipras and his new Finance Minister.

The latter may represent more of a change in style than substance, however, and it remains unclear what proposals both will bring to Brussels. What is clear is that with the ECB tightening the pressure by raising the haircut on Greek collateral substantially today’s round of meetings really represent Greece’s last chance to prevent default and Grexit.

Greece’s last chance to come to an agreementand avoid bankruptcy is a quick deal or at least the firm progress of one at today’s Eurogroup meeting that will be followed by an EU summit in the evening. Hollande and Merkel stressed again yesterday that time is running out and the ECB tightened the pressure on banks by raising the haircut on Greek collateral – reportedly to 45%. Banks will remain closed today and tomorrow, but without a deal it will be almost impossible to open them again quickly and the government will likely face troubles at tomorrow’s T-bill auction. Grexit will almost become inevitable. If there is a deal, ECB’s Nowotny suggested that the ECB could provide bridge financing. So once again all hinges on Greece’s proposals and its willingness to compromise.

ECB also lifted haircut on Greek collateral, while maintaining ELA assistance to Greek banks for now. The decision will increase pressure on Greece ahead of today’s Eurogroup meeting and EU summit. It will also but local banks in a difficult position ahead of Wednesday’s T-Bill sale. The Greek government has been relying on rolling over T-bills to keep afloat, with Greek banks and institutions the only takers. With the fresh increase on the haircut, it will be increasingly costly for Greek banks to hold Greek government debt.

US June ISM services index edged up to 56.0 from May’s 55.7 as per yesterday’s release. However the 57.8 in April is still the highest of the year, while the 58.8 in November was cycle high since November 2005. However, components were mixed. The employment index fell to 52.7 from 55.3. New orders rose to 58.3 from 57.9, while new export orders declined to 52.0 from 55.0. Prices paid slid to 53.0 from 55.9. Also, US Markit services PMI fell to 54.8 in the final June print versus May’s 56.2 (and 54.8 June preliminary). It’s the lowest since January’s 54.2 and reflects continued slowing in the expansion. A year ago the reading was 61.0. Employment slid to 54.1 versus 55.5 in May, though the expansion in the job sector has persisted for 64 straight months. The composite index dropped to 54.6 from 56.0 in May (and 54.6 for the June preliminary). It is also the lowest since January.

Read the full analysis HERE http://analysis.hotforex.com/blog/2015/07/07/todays-currency-movers-38/

Today’s Currency Movers

EUR1.png

EURUSD, Daily

EURUSD traded between the nearest support and resistance levels yesterday as was expected. The 1.0930 support attracted buyers and after printing a low of 1.0916 price rallied to 1.1052. Weekly pivot bar from end of May has been providing support but at the time of writing there are no definite signs of price reversing the current downtrend. Price is trending lower in a 4h 2 stdv regression channel and is at the time of writing near channel high and not that far from 1.1048 resistance level. The nearest support and resistance levels are at 1.0930 and 1.1048.

Greece gets until Sunday to reach a deal. Euro group and EU leaders meeting yesterday once again failed to reach an agreement with Greece amid a lack of concrete proposals from Tsipras. Greece is expected to present a formal request for ESM aid today and Euro group ministers will hold a conference call to discuss the proposals that are expected to be laid out in the request. The final deadline to reach an agreement at technical level seems to be Friday and a deal must be reached at a summit on Sunday. German Chancellor Merkel said she was not particularly optimistic and EU Commission President Juncker said Grexit scenarios have been prepared in detail. The ECB meanwhile stands ready to try and limit contagion. It seems this time the game really will be up Sunday if there is no miracle.

Eurogroup and EU summit yesterday once again didn’t get very far amid the lack of new proposals from Greece. EU President Tusk was left to say that a formal request for ESM aid was expected today, Thursday at the latest, while stressing the strict conditionality of ESM treaties. So if Tsipras thought by not extending the bailout and going to the ESM instead he would get more leeway he will have been disappointed. Greece said it will send a formal request for ESM aid today, while EU’s Dombrovkis said Greece was ready to present reform proposals tomorrow.

In an unusually clear way Tusk set Sunday as the very last deadline for a deal with Greece, while urging both sides to work together to come to an agreement. German Chancellor Merkel was not very optimistic however and EU Commission President Juncker said detailed Grexit scenarios have been prepared. The ECB meanwhile continues to stand ready to limit the fallout from the Greek crisis.

U.S. JOLTS report showed job rose 29k in May after a 225k increase in April to 5,363k (revised from 267k to 5,376k). The job openings rate was steady at 3.6 (April was nudged down from 3.7%). Hirings fell 34k following a revised 54k drop in April (was -81k). The rate fell to 3.5% from 3.6% (April revised up from 3.5%). There was a 10k decline in quitters after a 60k drop previously (revised from -100k). The quit rate was unchanged at 1.9%. The May data won’t have market impact.

U.S. trade deficit widened 2.9% to $41.9 bln in May, after narrowing 19.5% to -$40.7 bln in April (revised from -$40.9 bln). Imports dipped 0.1% following the 3.3% April decline. Exports slid 0.8% after the 1.1% gain in April (revised from 1.0%). Excluding petroleum, the trade balance fell to -$36.1 bln from -$33.9 bln in April (revised from -$34.1 bln).

Main Macro Events Today

• EU Extraordinary Economic Summit: Greece is expected to present a formal request for ESM aid today and Eurogroup ministers will hold a conference call to discuss the proposals that are expected to be laid out in the request.
  • FOMC Minutes: The Fed is expected to be more optimistic about the US economy reaching their 2% inflation target. We are also likely to see some optimism on personal consumption.
  • US Consumer Credit: The May consumer credit report is out on today and should reveal a $18 bln (median $18.5 bln) increase for the month following a $20.5 bln increase in April and a $21.3 bln gain in March. Over the past year the headline has averaged $18.2 bln, about in line with our forecast.
Read the full analysis: HERE

Today’s Currency Movers

EUR2.png

EURUSD, Daily

EURUSD is yet once again trading at the same resistance it failed to penetrate yesterday. After moving lower the pair found support at 1.1000 support. Earlier on the day the disappointing US jobless claims figures failed to move market significantly but later in the US session buyers stepped in at around 1.1000 support and sent EUR higher. Higher low formed yesterday suggests that EURUSD will try to push higher today. At the time of writing the pair has reacted lower from the daily resistance created by rising trend channel and 1.1135 resistance. However the pair has also made a high print of 1.1134 (yesterday’s high was 1.1125) and found support from 1.1080 while the next significant intraday resistance level is at 1.1188. I am expecting EURUSD to move higher and towards the 1.1188 intraday resistance today. The nearest daily support and resistance levels are at 1.0930 and 1.1135.

Greece submitted its reform proposals at the 11th hour as it seeks an additional EUR 53.5 bln ($59 bln) in bailouts. The 10-page document included many reform measures which had been sought by the EU, including government spending cuts for pensions. PM Tsipras also agreed to shift a variety of goods and services into higher sales tax categories. In return for accepting even harsher measures than previously proposed, the government wants a commitment from creditors to further negotiate long-term debt conditions. Officials, including those from the IMF, will analyze the proposals prior to Saturday’s EU finance ministers meeting, prior to the EU summit on Sunday. Risk appetite is likely to extend higher into the weekend on this news.

Greece’s concessions could save the day. The last minute reform proposals are similar creditor’s proposal from June 24, which voters rejected in a referendum last Sunday. The new proposals are to be checked for feasibility and sustainability by ECB, European Commission and IMF prior to the Eurogroup meeting Saturday and the summit on Sunday, according to newspaper reports, but initial reviews suggest Tsipras made more concessions, while also asking for a review of debt sustainability. The important part here is to stress that this doesn’t need to be haircuts, which no-one is asking for, but could also be a further extension of the debt schedule and lower interest rates, something finance ministers already discussed last year. Although officials will likely want to see signs that reforms are not just promised but actually implemented, before committing to such a move.

ECB ultimatum may have aided reform concessions. A dutch newspaper reported that the ECB will terminate ELA as of 6 am Monday morning if Greek reform proposals are deemed too light and Greece is unwilling to cooperate with withdrawal from the Eurozone. The reports cites an unidentified EU official and the ECB’s final ultimatum may have helped to produce somewhat of a turnaround in Greece, which seems to have finally ended the posturing and put meat on the reform proposals.

U.S. initial jobless claims surged 15k to 297k in the July 4 week, following the 11k jump to 282k in the prior week (revised from 281k). This brought the 4-week moving average to 279.5k versus 275k (revised from 274.75k. Continuing claims jumped 69k to 2,334k in the week ended June 27 from 2,265k in the prior week (revised from 2,264k). The larger than expected increase in jobless claims is likely more a function of the July 4 holiday than a change in the labor market, even though the BLS said there was nothing unusual in the data.

2015-07-10_1022.png

Currency Pairs, Grouped Performance (percentage change from previous day’s close)

This morning EUR is trading higher while JPY is down again as the need for safe haven dissipates. Other currencies’ performance remains mixed and without strong directional bias. USDJPY has rallied to a resistance at 122.08 while EURJPY battles with a resistance level at 135.72. CADJPY is nicely up from the support at 94.83 and same applies to GBPJPY that has rallied from 185.02 support. NZDJPY has rallied to a resistance at 82.51.

Read the full analysis HERE: http://analysis.hotforex.com/blog/2015/07/10/todays-currency-movers-41/http://analysis.hotforex.com/blog/2015/07/10/todays-currency-movers-41/