• The Forex, Binary Options Forum - welcomes you to our Community!

DigitalCashPalace Forum is dedicated to discussions about Forex, Binary Options, commodities, stocks related.

Please take a look around, and feel free to .

Which is more profitable-short term trading or long term trading?

Forex is undoubtedly a great source of earn a lot of money and that's why thousands of people want to join in this business. Some them prefer short term trading and other prefer long term trading. What is the profitable between the two and specially for the newbies?

Last edited:
Haha, you can hardly compare Judo to Karate, or Muay to Shaolin. Every school has its own genius and gurus. We can just compare individual to individual!

Traders differ in their means and strategies of trading. While some prefer long term, others would want to trade in a short term basis but the profitable nature cannot be said to be favourable to any kind of trade. Though some are of the opinion that trading on a long term would be most ideal for new traders as they can hold position for a longer period of time.

For me, long term is more profitable. You get less risks and also higher pips profit per trade. I can get 90 in a long term trade but only like 40 in a scalping trade so that is why I prefer long term traders cause I know at least I will make some pips if not a lot cause I can buy it really low but when you scalp you might buy it high and then it harder to get higher pips per trade cause it might reverse. But the scalping opp is more than long term if you have no time sometimes.

Undoubtedly long-term trading is the most profitable one. The richest traders in the world are usually investors or long-term traders. However, long-term trading in forex market is very difficult. We should opt for low leverage or use large capital. This is because, long-term charts (daily, monthly) have support and resistance far off from entry. Thus, to avoid margin call, large capital should be employed. The other option is to use low leverage. This will ultimately have an effect on the returns. Thus, most traders resort to swing trading or day trading. Once we build sufficient capital, we can switch to medium term trading. This would actually reduce the stress considerably on the trader.

Undoubtedly long-term trading is the most profitable one. The richest traders in the world are usually investors or long-term traders. However, long-term trading in forex market is very difficult. We should opt for low leverage or use large capital. This is because, long-term charts (daily, monthly) have support and resistance far off from entry. Thus, to avoid margin call, large capital should be employed. The other option is to use low leverage. This will ultimately have an effect on the returns. Thus, most traders resort to swing trading or day trading. Once we build sufficient capital, we can switch to medium term trading. This would actually reduce the stress considerably on the trader.
It is not true that investing for long term will be always profitable. Profit counting depends on the market conditions. Expert traders always plan their strategies according to the market and then keep their steps ahead.

Exactly, and also depends on the skills the trader posses. I know of some traders who you would hardly notice that they are trading. They are news traders anyway and you only see them trade once in a while. I guess after they might have studied the economic calendar for some time and know the best time for them to enter the market.

For me short term trading is easy . I am not much skilled in trading so I try for small profits that are achievable in short term . For long term trading one need a lot of expertise and money because they have to wait for proper time and planning.

I think it will depend on the trader and his strategies. I think even in long term, the trader can still lose all of his money or get kick out of the trade. Even in short term trade, the trader can still lose significant amount of money if he does not manage his money or his trade. It will depend on how the trader manage his money and his trade and how much he's gaining per trade and whether the trade is good or not.

Haha, you can hardly compare Judo to Karate, or Muay to Shaolin. Every school has its own genius and gurus. We can just compare individual to individual!
LOL i totally agree with you, but disagree with some traders above me, Long Term trading is not always profitable and have less risk, i ever see a trader that loss more than 300 pips with 0,1 lot in 2 months after hold his position, he does not set SL and keep the position floating, so is that means Long term is more profitable? Nope.

I agree with FXZok because his view, is wiser. Scalpers, Day Trader, Swing, or Long one is not even matter you can't compare it because the risk and also chance to grab the profit is depend on the each trader.

this is depending on the trader for me i do not like long term trading but i like scalping very much i know it is high risky way of trading but this way of trading make your account increase with short time i am not greedy but i am trading with good scalping system

I think that gradually, some traders are trying to start coping with the short term of trading. This I feel is because of the tendency to make profits within shorter time than wait much longer for positions.

For me, it will be the best to have test those first. Yet, we will find that there's no difference in making profits in any of short term or long term. Just then, it's the margin and target pips we have differently.

There is a difference in short and long term trading .We had different targets to achieve. With short term trading My goals are small and I try to get all these with low risks on daily base. But with long term trading strategy a traders should have sufficient experience to deal with market conditions.

I think you might make more profits long term but you might also be taking out of trades in spikes and such or bad news days so its kind of scary in long term trade and it doesn't mean that you will always end up making profit in long term trade either. In short term trades, you can make smaller profit but you know what's ahead of you so you can avoid large losses.

I think that the whole thing depends on how is your level in the forex trading. If you are newbie or a beginner then the short term trading will be less risky for you and so more profitable. And if you are advanced trader then you know enough plans to make long term trade and make huge profits.

In all though, either short term or long term, that which also plays a role is the skills of the trader. Both terms of trade can still generate a lot of profit depending on what the trader knows about the market and how he understands the market sentiments.

I think long term will be better to take profit. Long term trading will be the best form of trading for the newbie traders because they can hold their position for long more than in short term. I'm sure they will try to understand the forex well if they start with long term more than short term.

If had to choose short term or long term, it will return to the expertise owned traders because of the problems of profit depends on the target of the trader concerned

Success depends on your trading strategy and your trading skill! There have so many part time traders who are successful, although they spend few hours here! It’s challenging profession, so new traders should spend here enough sessions to learn Forex.